The Planning & Zoning Department administers the comprehensive land use plan, zoning and subdivision ordinances, provides geographical information and mapping services and maintains official street names and addresses in the unincorporated areas of the County.
The Nelson County Comprehensive Plan is a blueprint for how Nelson County will deal with change, and how it will grow. It assists citizens in understanding the county and guides the Planning Commission, the Board of Supervisors, state agencies, and private developers in providing for the County’s future needs.
Learn more about the Nelson County Comprehensive Plan >>
The Nelson County Department of Planning & Zoning strategically works to:
- Protect and strengthen the County’s special sense of place and extremely high quality of life;
- Facilitate the growth of a strong local economy;
- Protect and enhance property values;
- Meet the Code of Virginia requirements to, “improve the public health, safety, convenience, [and] welfare of its citizens,” (15.2-2200) and to, “facilitate the creation of a convenient, attractive, and harmonious community…” (15.2-2283).
- Within the guidance of the Board of Supervisors, the Department collaborates with all other County Departments and works with a wide variety of local and regional stakeholders. These working relationships are all oriented towards helping the Nelson County community successfully pursue a more prosperous and more sustainable future.
Community engagement is openly welcomed; public input and participation increase the department’s capacity to serve the community well. The Planning & Zoning Department is here to offer assistance, respond to your needs, and serve the public interest of the Nelson County community.