Nelson County is steeped in history and one that places high priority on quality of life through the protection of natural, cultural and historical resources. Whether you are looking to relocate or come for a visit, Nelson County has it all. Below are some links that you may find helpful when considering Nelson County as your home.
The mission of the Nelson County Schools is to provide a safe, nurturing, and a creative environment for learning. In partnership with families and community, we are committed to providing quality instruction that fosters student success, respect and diversity. We strive to enable students to become skilled, responsible and contributing members of our global society.
All schools are accredited by the Virginia State Department of Education and comply with the Virginia Standards of Accreditation, Virginia Standards of Quality and the Virginia Standards of Learning.
- The University of Virginia Medical Center’s hospital has 668 beds and provides comprehensive medical service for the region. The hospital contains special units for trauma, burns, intensive and coronary care, dialysis, and neonatal care.
- Lynchburg General Hospital and Virginia Baptist Hospital contain a total of 768 beds and provide a full range of general medical and surgical specialties.
- Augusta Medical Center is also is conveniently accessed by residents of northern Nelson County.
- Two private clinics and a county public health center are located in the county.
- Nine physicians and six dentists practice in Nelson County.