Welcome to Planning and Zoning! We are now open to the public, please see the notes below on how best to reach us:
IF YOU NEED TO DROP OFF OR PICK UP, PLEASE USE THE DROP BOXES IN FRONT OF THE OFFICE
3 WAYS TO REACH US:
- CALL FROM YOUR VEHICLE FOR CURBSIDE ASSISTANCE
- CALL TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT (If no answer, we are not available – please leave a message and we’ll get back to you)
- 2 PEOPLE IN THE LOBBY AT A TIME
- MASKS REQUIRED
- PLEASE SANITIZE
- DISTANCING REQUIRED
The Planning & Zoning Department administers the comprehensive land use plan, zoning and subdivision ordinances, provides geographical information and mapping services and maintains official street names and addresses in the unincorporated areas of the County.
The Nelson County Department of Planning & Zoning strategically works to:
- protect and strengthen the County’s special sense of place and extremely high quality of life;
- facilitate the growth of a strong local economy;
- protect and enhance property values;
- meet the Code of Virginia requirements to, “improve the public health, safety, convenience, [and] welfare of its citizens,” (15.2-2200) and to, “facilitate the creation of a convenient, attractive, and harmonious community…” (15.2-2283).
Within the guidance of the Board of Supervisors, the Department collaborates with all other County Departments and works with a wide variety of local and regional stakeholders. These working relationships are all oriented towards helping the Nelson County community successfully pursue a more prosperous and more sustainable future.
Community engagement is openly welcomed; public input and participation increase the department’s capacity to serve the community well. The Planning & Zoning Department is here to offer assistance, respond to your needs, and serve the public interest of the Nelson County community.
Planning and Zoning Schedule
Please check the County Calendar for the most up-to-date meeting schedule.
|GIS – Geographic Information System|
|Code of Virginia|