The Virginia Veteran and Family Support Program
Brief outline of the services provide, or facilitate linkages to:
- Helping veterans navigate the VA healthcare system.
- Helping veterans file VA disability claims.
- Accessing other VA resources as eligible.
- Connecting veterans to other vet organizations in their communities (veteran services organizations, nonprofits, social orgs, etc).
- Facilitating counseling for veterans who either cannot or will not receive the service through the VA. This includes any issue that might be remotely service connected, as well was any elements of it that may be adversely affecting their families. Individual counseling, family counseling, marriage counseling, etc.
- Helping veterans connect with healthcare when they cannot receive it through the VA.
- Helping veterans through peer support (all our staff are either veterans, or spouses of veterans – or both).
- Facilitating peer-led veteran support groups and combat veteran support groups (closed, safe environments where veterans can discuss virtually anything they want to talk about).
- Facilitating family support groups for similar reasons.
- Designated family support staff for veterans loved ones (whereas a veteran peer specialist would generally work directly with the veteran him/herself.
- Connecting veterans with employment opportunities.
- The same with housing help and homelessness prevention.
All services are confidential.
Finally, despite the name, we are a FREE resource to all National Guard, Reservists, Veterans, and the families of all three, regardless of discharge status, and will be happy to assist them directly, or assist you and our staff do the same. We have formally changed our program name to the Virginia Veterans and Family Support on 1 October, 2015. While many vets may identify as wounded warriors, many do not, and we are hopeful that this will reduce the numbers of veterans who self-select out of our services because of presumed ineligibility.
Veteran Car Donations: Donate many types of vehicles to Veterans and their families- from cars and trucks, to boats and RVs, to jet skis and motorcycles, to riding lawn movers and tractors – in running or non-running condition. For more info visit: https://www.veterancardonations.org/