Where to Obtain
Marriage Licenses are issued by the Clerk of the Circuit Court, presently located at the Courthouse, 84 Courthouse Squaure, 1st Floor in Lovingston. Both parties must appear before the Clerk to obtain a license. You may obtain a license at any Circuit Court Clerk’s Office in the State of Virginia, as there are no residency requirements. This license is valid for marriages that take place in Virginia.
Must be 18 years of age or older. If either party is at least 16 years of age and under the age of 18, consent to the marriage must be given in person by the father, mother or guardian having legal custody of the minor. Contact the Clerk’s Office for instructions for a marriage of a minor under 16.
- No waiting period from date of issuance to marriage.
- No waiting period from date of divorce to remarriage.
- Marriage must take place within 60 days of issuance of license; otherwise it will expire.
- Person authorized to celebrate rites of marriage must return both copies of marriage license to the Circuit Court Clerk’s Office within 5 days.
- $30.00 Cash or local check.
- $2.50 for each certified copy of marriage license plus current return postage amount.
Certified Copy of Marriage License
Certified copies of marriage licenses may be obtained in person or by mail from the Clerk’s Office that issued the license. Please send requests by mail to:
Circuit Court Clerk’s Office
P.O. Box 10
84 Courthouse Square
Lovingston, VA 22949-0514
Marriages are not performed by the Clerk’s Office. The clergy, minister, or other person authorized to perform the marriage must be authorized by a Circuit Court in Virginia in order to perform the marriage. This is a list of the authorized celebrants: Marriage Celebrants.
Clerk’s Office Hours
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.