As of July 19, 2016 (1 position removed; 0 position added; 3 positions available):
The Nelson County Board of Supervisors is seeking interested and qualified applicants for the following positions:
*Position: Full Time Animal Control Officer
Salary Range: $28,615 – $31,585
Closing Date: Open until filled by qualified applicant
Start Date: As soon as possible
Responsibilities include cleaning and feeding at animal shelter, assisting with rabid and unclaimed animals, impoundment of abandoned and stray animals, and investigation and processing of dog bite and other cases. Applicants should be aware up to 75% of time may be spent assisting with shelter duties. Requires education equivalent to high school graduation. Certification in Basic Animal Control and Firearms is recommended, but may be obtained within first year of employment.
Interested persons may submit a completed County employment application to the Nelson County Administrator’s Office, P.O. Box 336, Lovingston, VA 22949. (434)263-7137. EOE.
For a County employment application, please visit: Nelson County Job Application
The Nelson County Circuit Court is seeking interested and qualified applicants for the following position:
* Position: Deputy Clerk
Department: Circuit Court
Entry Level Salary: $27,000+ Depending on experience
Closing: Open until filled by qualified candidate
Required Documentation: State Application
Other Instructions: NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE (Only interviewed applicants will be notified of filling position)
Duties include responding to public in person and by phone, processing court documents, data entry, and filing. Must be detail-oriented, highly accurate and excellent at follow-up and handling multiple tasks with deadlines. Experience in handling money and confidential matters.
- Minimum qualifications:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Legal/Court related work much preferred
- Computer application and typing skills
- Work with limited supervision
- Ability to communicate pleasantly and effectively
- Sick Leave
- 12 paid holidays
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Deferred compensation
- Short- & Long- disability (if applicable)
Mail your State Application to:
Judy Smythers, Clerk
Nelson County Circuit Court
P.O. Box 10
Lovingston, VA 22949
Nelson County Circuit Court is an Equal Opportunity Employer. EEO
The Nelson County Sheriff’s Office is seeking interested and qualified applicants for the following position:
* Position: Deputy Sheriff
Department: Sheriff’s Office
Entry Level Salary: $31,009.00
Closing: Open until filled by qualified candidate
Required Documentation: Field Deputy Application
The qualifications for selection and appointment to a sworn position in the Sheriff’s Office shall meet or exceed the minimum state qualifications that are set forth in § 15.2-1705, Code of Virginia and the requirements of the Sheriff’s Office.
Individuals who wish to apply must:
- Be a citizen of the United States;
- Undergo a background investigation, which includes a fingerprint-based criminal history records inquiry into both the Central Criminal Records Exchange and the Federal Bureau of Investigation and may include a check of school records, credit history, inquiry as to character and reputation;
- Have a high school diploma or have passed the General Educational Development (GED) exam; Associate degree or higher preferred.
- Possess a valid Virginia driver’s license at the time of employment with no minus points or suspensions;
- Be at least twenty years of age
- Not have been convicted, pled guilty or no contest to a felony or any offense that would be a felony if committed in Virginia
- Not have any convictions for misdemeanor crimes
- Pass a written Police Officer Selection Test (POST) exam (exemption: previous or current DCJS law enforcement certification); study guides and practice tests are available at http://www.tests.com/practice/police-test
- Complete an oral interview
- Pass a Polygraph Examination
- Complete a physical / medical examination conducted under the supervision of a licensed physician; at the expense of the Sheriff’s Office
- Pass a drug urinalysis
- Interview with the Sheriff
- For Law Enforcement appointments: § 15.2-1525, Code of Virginia and the requirements of the Sheriff’s Office:
- The applicant must live in Nelson County or be willing to relocate within a reasonable distance of the administrative Sheriff’s Office, as determined by the Sheriff
After the applications are reviewed, qualified applicants will be invited to take the written test.
If you have any questions regarding this process, please feel free to contact the Sheriff’s Office (434-263-7050).
Interested candidates can acquire a job description and application from the Nelson County Sheriff’s Office, 84 Courthouse Square, Lovingston, VA 22949.
Nelson County Sheriff’s Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer. EEO/AA/M/F/D/V
In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, religion, sex, familial status, sexual orientation, and reprisal. (Not all prohibited bases to all programs).
To file a complaint of discrimination, write to:
USDA, Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
Office of the Assistance Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, S. W., Stop 9410
Washington, DC 20250-9410
Or call toll-free at (866) 632-9992 (English) or (800) 877-8339 (TDD) or (866) 377-8642 (English Federal-relay) or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish Federal-relay).
USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer