The County of Nelson requires zoning approval and a business license. If you want to begin a business in Nelson County:
- Contact the Director of Planning and Zoning, 434-263-7090, or visit the office at 80 Front Street to ensure that the business is permitted on the property of your choice.
- Contact the Virginia Department of Transportation, 434-946-7631, about the property entrance requirements.
- Visit the Commissioner of Revenue, 434-263-7070, to obtain your proper business license. Business licenses are required for: Contractors, Food Establishments, Retail Establishments, Professional Firms, Service/Repair, and Wholesalers.
- Fictitious trade names must be registered with the Clerk of the Circuit Court, 434-263-7020.
- If a business is incorporated, registration with the State Corporation Commission is required.
Starting a business from a location other than your home
The Planning/Zoning and Building Inspection process approves in the following order (if the business is not in an approved zoning designation, see the Director of Planning and Zoning):
- Zoning Compatibility
- Change of Use Permits
- Site Plan Review
- Building Permit
- Certificate of Occupancy
A food establishment must be approved by the Health Department, 434-263-8315, before receiving a license.
Starting a business in your home
- You will need approval for a Home Occupation Permit from the Planning & Zoning Office, 434-263-7090.
- Return the completed permit application to the Planning Office for review.
- The Planning Office will forward the application to the Building Inspector for additional review, if necessary.
- When all the reviews are completed, a decision is made to either grant or deny the business request.
Nelson County Contacts
Maureen Kelley | Economic Development
Stephen Carter | County Administrator
Fred Boger | Director, Planning & Zoning
Jean Payne | Commissioner of Revenue