Starting Your Business in Nelson County
The County of Nelson requires zoning approval and a business license.
Zoning Approval & Business License
The County of Nelson requires zoning approval and a business license. If you want to begin a business in Nelson County:
- Contact the Director of Planning and Zoning (434-263-7090) or visit the office at 80 Front Street to ensure that the business is permitted on the property of your choice.
- Contact the Virginia Department of Transportation (434-946-7631) about the property entrance requirements.
- Visit the Commissioner of Revenue (434-263-7070) located on the first floor of the courthouse building to obtain your proper business license. Business licenses are required for: Contractors, Food Establishments, Retail Establishments, Professional Firms, Service/Repair, and Wholesalers.
- Fictitious trade names must be registered with the Clerk of the Circuit Court (434-263-7020).
- If a business is incorporated, registration with the State Corporation Commission is required.
Starting a Business From a Location Other Than Your Home
The Planning/Zoning and Building Inspection process approves in the following order:
- Zoning Compatibility
- Change of Use permits
- Site Plan Review
- Building Permit
- Certificate of Occupancy
If the business is not in an approved zoning designation, see the Director of Planning and Zoning.
A food establishment must be approved by the Health Department, before receiving a license.
Starting a Business in Your Home
- You will need approval for a Home Occupation Permit from the Planning Office | 434-263-7090.
- Return the completed permit application to the Planning Office for review.
- The Planning Office will forward the application to the Building Inspector for additional review, if necessary.
- When all the reviews are completed, a decision is made to either grant or deny the business request.
Nelson County Contacts
Maureen Kelley | Economic Development
Stephen Carter | County Administrator
Grant Massie | Interim Director, Planning & Zoning
Pam Campbell | Commissioner of Revenue